August 28, 2007

OLPC

"One Laptop Per Child"



I keep talking about the hundred doller laptop, I'm sorry about that, but I have one more thing to say about it. Yesterday I was at the Media Lab listening to a description of a program I'm going to do there. Sitting at the same table I was were two $100 laptops just asking to be played with, and who was I to say now. I spent a good hour playing around with it and here's what I've got to say:

The mouse trackpad is fairly decent, but does tend to fling the cursor off to odd corners of the screen at random moments.

The applications take a while to open (a minute or two) but I was in no hurry.

The keyboard is tiny! I had some issues with that.

It has TETRIS on it!

And, finally, remember that program I'll be doing at the Media Lab? Part of it involves giving the entire class $100 laptops to tinker with, explore, study, and research. These things are impossible to find, yet MIT seems to be willing to just do anything with them! I love <3 this place!

No comments: